Drunk Elephants Meet Shocking End
Six Asiatic wild elephants were electrocuted as they went berserk after drinking rice beer in India's remote northeast, a wildlife official said Tuesday.
Nearly 40 elephants came to a village Friday looking for food. Some of them found beer, which farmers ferment and keep in plastic and tin drums in their huts, said Sunil Kumar, a state wildlife official.
They got drunk, uprooted an electric pole and were electrocuted in Chandan Nukat, a village nearly 240 kilometers west of Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya state, Kumar said.
"There would have been more casualties had the villagers not chased them away," said Dipu Mark, a local conservationist.
The elephants are known to have a taste for rice beer brewed by tribal communities in India's northeast.
Four wild elephants died in similar circumstances in the region three years ago.
Powered by ScribeFire.