Thursday, May 1, 2008

Chapters

The reason why I'm posting late tonight is that hubby and I went out for drinks with the people from his work. Instead of driving two cars out there, we arranged to meet at a Chapter's. While I was waiting for him, I browsed. What a windfall for me, because I had no idea what I was going to talk about tonight.

I went up to the table marked "current events and bright ideas", or some such. It was loaded with nothing that I was interested in. Steyn's "America Alone", just released in paperback, wasn't there (later I found it on the bottom shelf in the politics section, they have at least 25 copies, but none were on any tables). Instead, I find Jimmah's books (there were a lot of them around), another about how much better the world would be if women ran the world, and Huffington's new book that I never heard of before about how horrible the Right is and how much better we'd be if the Left took over. Fine, as usual I'll have to search for intelligent books at Chapters.

I mosey on down to the sale sections at the very front of the store, you know the ones where they put the newest books and the ones they're trying to push? I wish I'd gotten a photo of this, it would be lots of fun, but there was "The Communist Manifesto" on the top shelf with a large-ish tab reading "The Best Books Ever Written" directly under it. Funniest thing I've seen today. I really should go take a picture, you'll probably get a kick out of it.

Anyway, I picked up Bernard Goldberg's "Crazies to the Left of me, Wimps to the Right" (not on a table, either, second shelf from the bottom), and on my way out, I caught a glimpse of the new Maclean's Magazine. I don't know what to make of this mag, I mostly dislike it, but they do have Steyn as a columnist.

Here's the front cover:
Lovely.

On the way out, the cashier noted that my Chapter's card was expired and offered me a new one for $25/year. I nicely declined. Note to self: buy books online.

Sphere: Related Content

0 Comments: